Wednesday 29 February 2012

TRASH OR TREASURE?? AYLOR design process

My dad recently cleared out his shed and what could be seen as a whole lot of rusted junk was instead a massive amount of excitement for me. Armed with a lot of rust and vinegar I experimented on some organic cotton. I used brighter colours so that the rusting would be more subtle on the cloth. My particular favourite is the orange fabric which I used a huge shipping chain to wrap the fabric in. The subtlety of the rusting is beautiful and was something I was hoping to achieve.
Only a sample of the many rusted pieces I found
I used long rusted rods, the piece started deteriorating at some of the most rusted parts, The rusted lace like effect it created could be used to layer over other fabrics. 


This is the orange fabric I loved the most, the effect does not look rusted like some of the other pieces I created. I used a massive shipping chain for this, which proved difficult when lifting.


This was on plain white organic cotton, I don't find the result effective as it does not have a subtle aesthetic. However I do like the rings I used to rust, so will use them again on a coloured fabric. 




This is another piece which i am making in one of the styles from my current collection, I will be adding binding to finish off the piece. The intensity of the rust at some parts are what makes this piece successful.
I loved playing with rust again and adding a bit of colour. My fellow Northern Territorians  are lovers of colour up here!!! 
Rusting is a great way to use objects that have been disregarded without any regard for their future, give it a try and you will find some great results. The variations each time will give you a unique piece of cloth to treasure. :)
Amy -AYLOR

No comments:

Post a Comment