Friday 7 September 2012

Awkward Beauty exhibition




On Wednesday afternoon we went down to see the Awkward Beauty exhibition on at the moment at the ANU Art School Gallery. I was so impressed by how amazing the exhibition was! The project brought together jewellery designer Helen Britten, Perth fashion designer Justine McKnight and Perth photographer Michelle Taylor. The three designers came together to explore the same inspiration which is an old and now unused railway station and warehouse in Midland, WA - had a similar vibe to Cockatoo Island. 

Their inspiration really connected to me as a designer as I love exploring the emotions and impact of a place. I am so jealous of these amazing designers! I would LOVE to do this project! On my lifes to do list. 

Helen Britten says of the project 'Midland is a great place to work. It contains an extremely interesting and exciting woodshop or workshop and it has a true sense of a place in that all around you are deeply embossed in remnants of the work once done there' (habitusliving.com)

When I first walked into the Gallery I thought the garments and jewellery were not very appealing but when explored up close the pieces are truly beautiful - fitting perfectly with the name Awkward Beauty. Now all I need is a spare $11K so I can buy a set!

Alice

1 comment:

  1. Nexus Exhibitions Pvt Ltd is one of the Premier Indian Exhibition Company which has successfully organized number of exhibitions/ shows in the B2C & B2B segment with portfolio comprising of fashion, lifestyle & beauty related events across India since 2006Beauty Exhibition

    ReplyDelete